19th Shanghai TV Festival
June 10th -14th, 2013
Entry deadline: March 10th, 2013
Shanghai Television Festival (STVF), held in June annually, is an international competitive television festival, hosted by the State Administration of Radio, Film and TV and the Shanghai Municipal Government.
STVF is composed of Magnolia Award International TV Program Competition and Showcase, International Film and TV Market (including Asian Animation Pitch & Catch), New Media and Broadcasting Equipment Market as well as Magnolia TV Forum,
The 19th Shanghai TV Festival is to be held from June 10th -14th, 2013.
ARTICLE 1: AWARDS
1. TV Film or Miniseries
Best TV Film/Miniseries Award, Best Director, Best Screenplay
2. TV Series
TV Series (China)
Best TV Series, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Actor, Best Actress;
TV Series (Foreign)
Best Foreign TV Series, Foreign TV Series Special Award
Best Documentary (60 minutes and up)
Best Documentary (below 60 minutes)
Jury’s Grand Prix
Best Chinese Documentary
Jury’s Grand Prix
Best Chinese Animation
ARTICLE 2: PROGRAM CATEGORY
1. TV Film or Miniseries
TV Film: Film made for TV with usually a total running time of not less than 70 min. and no more than 200 min. One episode from a series that tells a complete story may also be accepted. The episode should have no reference to other episodes except principal characters.
Miniseries: limited-run TV series with a single theme or story line, generally last two to six episodes, under 400 min.
2. TV Series
Multiple episodes in which the on-going theme, storyline or main characters are presented under the same title and have continuity of production supervision. Reality and/or non-scripted programming is not considered eligible.
Reflecting the social activities of the human society; Reflecting someone or something of historical value; docudrama accepted; Reflecting different life forms or natural scenery. Documentary films accepted.
Animation made for TV or cinema, either as part of a series or as a one-off television special or feature film.
5. Category Placement
The final decision of category placement will rest with the selection committee of STVF, with reference to the suggestion of the entrant.
ARTICLE 3: ELIGIBILITY
1. Entries for the Competition should comply with the following criteria:
1) Having been initially broadcast anywhere in the world between March 10th, 2012 and March 10th, 2013. (Not suitable for documentaries)
2) Entries in languages other than English must be subtitled in English.
2. All entries shall not contain any commercials.
3. All entries may only be submitted by organizations or individuals who own the copyrights.
4. Co-production partners should decide which organization will be the entrant.
ARTICLE 4: PROGRAM MATERIALS
1. Deadline date for online entrance will be March 10th, 2013.
2. All the participants, individuals or companies, must complete clearly the entry forms.
3. The following materials should reach the Organizing Committee before the deadline:
1) DVD or Betacam-Sp
2) English or Chinese synopsis
3) 5 stills from the program
4) Screen credits
5) Trailer (within 5 minutes)
4. The entries in languages other than English must be subtitled in English or Chinese. The production of the subtitles shall be the responsibility of the sender.
5. Promotional materials requested in the entry form must reach the Festival ASAP, providing they are informed by the Festival in written that their entries have been officially selected.
6. Address for shipping:
Shanghai TV Festival 11F, B, STV Mansions, 298 Weihai Road Shanghai 200041, China
ARTICLE 5: CASSETTES
Both DVD and Betacam cassettes should be in PAL standard only.
All cassettes and publicity materials shall be delivered to the Festival by express courier at the sender’s own expense.
Entries will be insured and taken good care of from the time of delivery to the Festival till the time they are returned. However, in the event of loss or damage, the obligation of the Festival is limited to simple replacement costs.
If required, STVF will return the Betacam tapes after the end of the Festival. Expenses except the shipping fee should be covered by the entrant itself.
ARTICLE 6: JUDGING
STVF Selection Committee, which is composed of experts in the industry, will view all the eligible entries. The official competition list will be announced to the public in May.
2. Final Judging
The entries in competition will be judged by an international jury panel invited by the Organizing Committee. It is guaranteed that jury members are not in any way connected with the production and commercial benefits of any competitive programs. A representative of the Organizing Committee may attend the jury's deliberations as an observer, but has no right to vote. For Foreign TV Series awards, an individual selection committee will be formed for separate voting procedure.
The winners will be revealed and presented with Magnolia Award at the Closing & Awards Ceremony of the 19th STVF.
Co-producer may request additional statue of the award. However, a written request to purchase additional statues must be made and be approved by STVF.
ARTICLE 7: FESTIVAL SCREENING
1. To meet the requirement of festival guests, for the convenience of business exchanges, and to promote excellent programs selected, STVF will arrange the screening of programs in competition and showcase at its international film & TV market. The market is a professional market for registered festival guests only.
2. If applicants do not provide any excerpts, the Festival is entitled to use a not longer than three-minute segment from each selected entry, free of charge, for TV promotional purposes only.
3. Unless expressly prohibited, the Festival is entitled to select outstanding entries for a single broadcast on TV during the festival under the sender's approval.
4. Unless expressly prohibited, the Festival reserves the right to make copies of winning entries for archival use only, with no commercial exploitation whatsoever.
ARTICLE 8: REPRESENTATIVES
1. The Organizing Committee will invite representatives to the Festival as well as the Closing & Awards Ceremony. The reception treatment Shanghai TV Festival provides will be specified in the letter to the final nominees.
2. Invited guests are expected to arrive in Shanghai for the festival and attend the awards ceremony at the conclusion of the Festival.
ARTICLE 9: ACCEPTANCE
1. Participation in the Shanghai TV Festival implies the producers' acceptance of the Regulations.
2. The Organizing Committee is fully responsible for the compilation and clarification of this regulation.
3. In the event of any dispute incurred between the Chinese and English version of this regulation, the Chinese version prevails.